this too
Thursday, April 21, 2005
  Trying to dance



Swedish photographer J H Engström (scroll down in this link) is one of the finalists for this year’s annual prize from the Photographer’s Gallery in London. Gorgeous pictures, I thought. Poetic and painterly, soft but solid, clear but complex, beautiful but not unchallengingly so. I could not ask for more. Well, I could ask for more and better online examples... they only give a hint, do not dance hauntingly and jitteringly towards you as they do in the gallery.
 
Comments:
I love the one of the volcano, but then I have been fascinated by volcanoes since I was twelve.
 
I like the Swedish and German photographers very much (judging from, as you say, these inadequate samples). I can't understand why the American is on the short list -- his stuff seems like a banal example of self-conscious banality. The fourth candidate, the one with artsily political photographs, will win.

(BTW, Jean, I wanted to email you recently about a comment on my blog, but I can't find your email address here.)
 
Richard, all the photos suffer from tiny online reproduction - I found all the finalists very impressive really - it's a fabulous small exhibition, though Engstrom is most to my taste. I am emailing you my email address. Haven't got around to setting up a separate email address for my blog yet.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: London, UK

Freelance copy-editor and translator. Keen on language, literature, photography, art, music, buddhist meditation and the countryside.

ARCHIVES
February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 /


BLOGS I READ
Powered by Blogger